Definition – What is Hydrocephalus or Enlarged Head Issue in Babies?
The word hydrocephalus is derived from “hyrdo” meaning water and “cephalus” meaning head. It corresponds to a condition when excess CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) builds up in the brain causing it to swell up like a balloon. Too much CSF can cause the brain to function abnormally due to the increase in pressure. This problem is mostly seen in newborn babies, that’s why the term “Hydrocephalus Baby” is more commonly used for this condition.
This condition can also occur in young people but more common in children and people in their old ages (after 60 years).
Image Source: community.babycenter.com/
What is Water Head Baby?
The “water head baby” is another term used for the baby patient with hydrocephalus. This term is used by common people for better understanding of this medical condition. As hydrocephalus occurs due to water retention in the body of (usually) new born babies, the term “water head babies” is often used.
What Are Possible Causes of Hydrocephalus Baby?.
Normally the CSF (fluid) flows around our spinal cord and brain. But sometimes there is a blockage in the flow of CSF in brain. Due to this blockage the CSF start accumulating in the ventricles of brain. This condition is the Hydrocephalus or “water on brain”.
The most common factors, causes and reasons of Hydrocephalus in babies include:
- Premature birth
- Presence of a brain tumor or lesion
- Head injury or trauma
- Genetic abnormality
- Rubella virus
- Central nervous system injury
- Complications during delivery
Signs and Symptoms of Hydrocephalus Baby:
The common signs and symptoms include:
- Bulging head with increased circumference
- Vomiting and less feeding
- Prominent scalp veins with increased irritability
- Eyes pointing downwards
- Fussiness combined with increased sleepiness
- Weak and thin legs
- Chillness and fuss while bathing
Symptoms of Hydrocephalus in Adults:
Hydrocephalus can also occur in adults especially after 60 years of age. In adults following symptoms are commonly seen:
- Patient cannot walk properly due to balance problem
- Problem with coordination of body
- Issues of double vision of blurred vision may be seen
- Due to Mental over strain frequent headaches may be observed that may result in nausea and vomiting
- Eyes are deviated downwards
- Other signs may include irritability, drowsiness and lethargy etc
How Proper Diagnosis of Hydrocephalus is Carried Out?
- Physical examination of head, eyes and motor skills
- CT scan
- Ultrasound of head and brain
All these tests are necessary because it not only diagnose the issue but also gives detailed study of intensity and severity. Proper tests are very helpful in the selection of right homeopathic medicine for patient.
- Also checkout: Homeopathic Treatment of Anal Fistula Without Surgery
Usual Ways of Hydrocephalus Treatment in Allopathy:
There are two ways to treat hydrocephalus baby in allopathy; Ventriculostomy and Shunt insertion.
- Shunt insertion is a surgical procedure in which a tube is inserted in to the brain with the other end connected to the abdominal cavity. The excess fluid leaves the brain and gets absorbed in the body easily; however it needs permanent monitoring because shunt is typically installed on a permanent basis.
- Ventriculostomy corresponds to drilling a hole at the bottom of the ventricles which allows the excess CSF to flow. It is a one time procedure.
The above mentioned procedures put the hydrocephalus babies at high risk as the results are not guaranteed by the surgeons. Bacterial infection and obstruction are life threatening effects for the baby. Parents are doubtful in this regard as whether to adopt this treatment or not.
Best and Perfect Treatment of Hydrocephalus Babies in Homeopathy:
The hydrocephalus baby can be treated by homeopathy in a number of ways without any side effects. Following are some of the common homeopathic medicines that may be used according to the severity of the condition and signs and symptoms:
- Calceria phosphorica
- Apis mellifica
Hydrocephalus Baby Allopathic Treatment vs Homeopathic Treatment:
Homeopathic treatment is known to cure the disease by eliminating the root cause of the condition. It not just removes the symptoms, it eradicates the condition permanently. It may take more time than the typical Allopathic ways but there are no side effects of the medicines. The drops or pills are devised according to the potency required by the patient. In case of treating hydrocephalus babies, homeopathic treatment mainly balances the electrolytes in the brain without undergoing the surgical procedures.
- Allopathic treatment involves surgical procedures for the brain which are seldom recommended for the babies.
- The side effects of the surgery can be of pathological nature i.e. bacterial infection can prove deadly for the delicate brain of the baby.
- Homeopathic remedy is cost effective too.
- High risk surgery with few chances of survival is never an acceptable option.
- Last but not the least, there are no side effects of homeopathic treatment.
How To Treat Hydrocephalus Baby Before Birth (Fetus Baby)?
Many times the enlarged swollen head (Hydrocephalus) can be diagnosed in fetus baby before birth. We have seen many cases where the head of fetus starts growing abnormally in the uterus of mother. Normally there is no cure for these cases in other medical treatment methods like Allopathy. In the cases where problem is severe, doctors suggest abortion because there is no way to treat it. If a mother had a hydrocephalus baby before, chances are that her next baby will also be suffering from the same issue and another abortion may be suggested by doctors.
The good news is that in Homeopathy, the Hydrocephalus baby issue of fetus can be successfully treated. After reading and studying the reports and tests, proper homeopathic medicine is given to mother of fetus. The homeopathic medicine reaches to fetus through mother and starts working on fetus. When right medicine is administered, gradual improvement is seen after few weeks. If proper homeopathic treatment is done, the full recovery of Hydrocephalus fetus baby is done within few months. In most of the cases, the baby is born healthy and without any Hydrocephalus problem.
Important: An important fact to remember here is to consult a registered homeopathic practitioner only. Never take the medications without seeking the advice of a doctor, be it an Allopathic doctor or a homeopathic doctor.